LIP TATTOO AFTERCARE: PRE & POST-CARE
LIP TATTOO AFTERCARE: PRE-CARE
- It’s a must to have your physician give you a prescription for an antiviral medication pre and post procedure if you have the Herpes Virus ie cold sores. Take the medication as prescribed by your doctor. No exceptions are allowed.
- Ensure that skin is free of all irritations including blemishes, eczema, and psoriasis.
- If you’ve had lip fillers, wait at least 12 weeks before getting a lip tattoo.
- Avoid taking blood thinning vitamins, minerals, and supplements 4 weeks prior.
- Avoid using AHA products near your lips 4 weeks prior.
- Avoid sun tanning 2 weeks prior and do not present with sun burn.
- Avoid drinking alcohol 48 hours prior.
- No caffeine prior to your appointment on the day.
- Please ensure lips are hydrated consistently with a lip balm 14 days prior. Dry lips can NOT be tattooed.
- Failing to acknowledge pre care could result in your appointment being cancelled if deemed unsafe on the day with no refund of the deposit or if a pre paid session.
Please read and follow instructions carefully and refer to treatment Information.
Here are some lip tattoo aftercare tips and general information:
There is minimal discomfort following your treatment however there is a possibility of swelling and bruising in a small % of people. Your therapist will give you your aftercare cream and instructions.
**Please note antiviral medications are necessary post your treatment for any person who suffers with the cold sore virus as prescribed by your doctor.
This is COMPULSORY for the best healing if you have the cold sore virus.
Following your Lip tattooing use your aftercare cream multiple times a day for 14 days applied with a cotton tip for best healing and colour retention. Do not use any other aftercare on your new lip tattoo. For all information please read full after care on this link.
After Care – Day 1-14.
- No soap or cleansers or any facial products can be applied on the treated area for 14 days, water only.
- NO lip makeup for 14 days.
- Rinse the area gently with water daily dabbing with a wet cotton pad then gently patting the area dry morning and night and also additionally after eating and drinking.
- You will be provided a tattoo balm or Bepathen Nappy Rash Cream. Apply as required to keep the lips constantly moist.
- No swimming in chlorine or sea water is permitted for 14 days post treatment.
- The tattoo MUST BE KEPT MOIST for successful healing to prevent ‘over’-scabbing and to prevent the lips from drying out.
- NO PICKING of scabs as colour can come away whilst bonding. It is normal days 2-6 to have some form of flaking AKA scabbing. During this time put extra effort into keeping your lip tattoo moist.
- Do not consume foods that have any chilli, vinegar or lemon in the first month as it could cause a chemical burn or damage the lip tattoo.
- Colour will at times look lighter then darker or brighter or even patchy as it continues to heal over the first 3 months on average. True colour is seen at approximately 8 – 12 weeks post the initial session. You will be provided a chart to help further understand the colour implantation process and healing stages.
- Please do not expect your colour to be healed in full before this time line.
- It is not customary to frequently check in during the healing phase regarding colour absorption for example. The lips do go through so many changes in the first 2 weeks then continue to heal over the following 2-3 months. It’s important to reference the chart provided to be assured of the process.
- Please only get in touch after the 2 week aftercare period if something is different to the picture chart guide and there’s an anomaly.
- If a complication such as a cold sore happens please contact your gp first then inform me after the 2 week healing phase and if this has caused any concern for colour to drop out. I will be able to guide you on a solution.
FAILING TO KEEP YOUR LIPS MOIST AND FREE OF CHEMICALS FOR 2 WEEKS WILL RESULT IN PATCHY HEALING.
PICKING OR PULLING DRY SKIN IN THE FIRST 2 WEEKS WILL RUIN OR DIMINISH THE QUALITY YOUR TATTOO.
The lips need wet/moist healing 24/7.
Looking After Your Micropigmentation/Cosmetic Lip Tattoo Post 14 day period of healing.
After the initial healing phase of 14 days, apply sunblock over your Cosmetic Tattoo and continue to keep your lips moist and well hydrated. Exposure to the sun over time can cause fading and colour change. As the colour implantation time frame is up to 12 weeks it’s important to keep the lips soft and subtle to have smooth colour uptake. There are many lip balms on the market that both hydrate the lips and have a spf combined.
After 14 days you can commence swimming however cover the Lip Tattoo with Vaseline for a further 6 weeks when swimming in chlorinated water to avoid a bleaching effect. Any chemicals of any kind could interfere with the bonding process. Chemicals such as Peels or any harsh exfoliants must be kept completely away from the Lip Tattoo ongoing as it will lighten the colour over time.
Lip Tattooing Additional Aesthetic Healing Information.
The colour initially is bright then by day 3 patchy and by day 5 lighter but will settle within 7 days on average on a whole. After 10 – 12 weeks the true colour will show through. Whilst healing the colour will look a little different at various times of the day. This is due to your own skin responses and different lighting will show a slight colour change and vascular changes because of body temperature and activities being performed. For example, running will cause the lips to be brighter because your temperature is warmer. On a cold morning your lips may look paler because your body is cool. Expect lips to be fully healed and the true colour to settle within 12 weeks. Please note that whilst it takes 12 weeks for the Lip Tattoo colour to fully settle it does look superficially healed after the peeling stage 5-7 days later after your Lip Tattooing procedure. For extra visual support refer to your healing chart provided.
Touch up appointment are on average scheduled after 8-12 weeks. During this follow up visit the final colour, shape, intensity and finish is decided. If there are also areas needing extra support with colour absorption this is also attended to. Patience is key with this process.